• The accounting preference to turn off the requirement for approval of journal entries (Setup > Accounting > Accounting Preferences > General tab) applies to all roles.
• As an alternate solution, user can customize a specific role and then add a permission to approve journal entries. With that customized role, a user can put a check mark on the Approval box when making journal entries and there would be no more need to have the journal entry approved by another employee:
1. Navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Roles.
2. Click Edit/Customize next to the role to be assigned with journal approval permission
3. On the Transaction sub-tab under the Permissions tab, add permission for Journal Approval and set the permission level to Full.
4. Hit Save.
5. Be sure that this customized role is assigned to the appropriate employees. Navigate to Lists > Employees > Employees. View the Access tab of the Employee.