Steps to Reproduce:
A. Create a custom role.
1. Navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Roles > New.
2. Enter a Name for the role.
3. Set the Center Type.
4. In Permissions tab > Lists subtab, assign the following permissions with their corresponding Permission Level:
- Customers = View
- Contacts = Edit
5. Click Save.
B. Assign the role to user.
1. Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Users (or Lists > Employees > Employees).
2. Edit User/Employee record.
3. In Access tab > Roles subtab, add the role created in A.
4. Click Save.
C. Update Contact Role on Customer record.
1. Login to NetSuite using custom role assigned.
2. Navigate to Lists > Relationships > Customers.
3. View one customer record.
4. Navigate to Relationships tab > Contacts sublist.
• Update Primary button is not available. Thus, user is unable to change the Contact's role to any of the available Contact Roles (such as Alternate Contact, Primary Contact, etc.)
• When user edits the Contact record (click Edit link), a message prompts:
For security reasons, only an administrator is allowed to edit an administrator record.
To resolve this, user role has to have a minimum permission level of 'Edit' for Customers.
1. Login as Administrator.
2. Navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Roles.
3. Edit the role.
4. In Permissions tab > Lists subtab, set Customers permission level to Edit or Full.
5. Click Save.
Note: The update of the contact role technically modifies the Customer record, thus, the role is required editing rights.