Normally, NetSuite allows the use of two or more Serial Numbers as long as they are pertaining to different items. The system also allows re-usage of same Serial Numbers.
If user wants to detect if a Serial Number is duplicate per item record, user can create a saved search for that.
1. Navigate to Lists > Search > Saved Searches > New
Click on Inventory Numbers
2. On the Criteria Tab:
--Add Item Fields... On the pop up window > Item Filter field select Is Serialized Item set it to Yes
--Add On Hand > On the pop up window > On Hand field set it to greater than then set the Value field to 1
3. On the Results Tab, add below fields:
4. Rename the search and click Save and Run
If user wants to detect duplicate Serial Numbers regardless of the items where it is linked, user may use the same Saved Search but with some changes.
5. On the Results Tab, add Summary Type to below Fields:
--Number > set it to Group
--On Hand > set it to Sum
6. On the Criteria Tab, remove On Hand is greater than 1.
Click to Criteria Tab > Summary Subtab, add:
--- Summary Type set it to Sum
--- Field set it to On Hand > On the pop up window set On Hand field to greater than then Value field to 1.
7. Rename the search and click Save and Run.