- User has two roles: Administrator and Custom Sales Person
- When he edits a customer record using the Administrator role, the Sales Rep field is not mandatory
- When he edit the same customer record using the Custom Sales Person role, the Sales Rep field becomes mandatory
- These behaviors are reproducible for both roles on any customer form
The Sales Rep field on customer records becomes mandatory for users who log in with a role that has an Employee Restriction set to either own and subordinates only or own, subordinates, and unassigned.
In the above scenario, the Custom Sales Person role has its Employee Restriction set to own, subordinates, and unassigned. In effect, he can edit customer records that are not yet assigned to any sales rep but has to fill out the Sales Rep field to save the record.
When the user with this role creates new customer records, the Sales Rep field is mandatory and defaults to his name.
To determine the role's Employee Restriction:
1. Navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Roles.
2. Edit the role in question.
3. Locate the Employee Restriction field.