Create a Case Saved Search to list number of cases filed for a specified date range based on Case Type.
1. Navigate to Lists > Search > Saved Searches > New.
2. Select Case as Search Type.
3. Enter value for Search Title field (e.g. Cases 2017 By Type).
4. Under Criteria tab > Standard subtab, add filters:
Date Created = Is Within : This Fiscal Year To Date
5. Under Results tab > Columns subtab, add the following fields:
Type (Summary Type = Group)
Number (Summary Type = Count)
6. Mark as Public and Available As Dashboard View so you can add the Case Saved Search on your Dashboard Portlet (Custom Search).
7. Under Available Filters tab, add Date Created and mark Show in Filter Region so that Date Range can be easily customized.
8. Click Save and Run.