When users create a Customer, Partner, Vendor or Other Name record, choose whether this record is for a Company or an Individual in the Type field. The selection determines which information is recorded on this page.
Records for individuals:
1. Do not have Contacts sub-tabs.
2. Include Title, First and Last Name fields.
3. Have an optional Company Name field.
4. Have other fields specific to Individuals such as Job Title.
Records for companies:
1. Have a mandatory Company Name field.
2. Have a Contacts sub-tab.
3. Have other fields appropriate for companies such as Web Address.
Users can choose whether customer records are created as Individuals or Companies by default at Setup > Company > General Preferences in the Default Customer Type field. This preference is set to Company by default.