A. Create a custom body field with type = Checkbox.
1. Navigate to Customization > Lists, Records & Fields > Transaction Body Fields > New.
2. Label = set a name for the custom field (ex. Unapproved)
3. Type = Checkbox
4. On the Applies To tab > mark Journal
5. On the Display tab
Insert Before = Unchanged
Subtab = Main
Display Type = Normal
6. Store Value = T
7. Save and Apply To Forms > on the Apply Custom Field to Forms page, select the custom form you want to show the custom field.
B. Create a saved search that will send email once the custom field created above is checked.
1. Navigate to List > Search > Saved Searches > New.
2. Click on Transaction
3. On the Criteria tab > Standard subtab
Type = Journal
Status = Journal: Pending Approval
Unapproved (Custom) = true --- This is the custom body field created
4. On the Results tab > add Created By
5. On the Email tab > check Send Email Alerts When Records are Created/Updated
6. On the Email tab > Recipients from Results subtab > check Send on Update and add Created By on the Recipient field.
7. On the Updated Fields tab > select Unapproved on the Field dropdown then set When Old Value is = F and When New Value is = T.
8. Rename the Search.
9. Click on Save.
Note: The effect of this is that whenever the approver mark the custom field created this will send an email to the person created the journal entry that it was set to unapproved. When the journal entry is already fixed, the approver can edit the journal entry then unmark the custom field then check the Approved box then Save.
This an alternate solution to Enhancement# 176673 - Journal Entry Approval process